Bible Facts and Information at a Glance
New Testament Events
These New Testament events are from the ESV English Standard Version 2003 by Crossway Bibles of Good News Publishers. www.goodnewspublishers.org
* Luke 1-2. Birth of Jesus.
* John 1:1-18. Who Jesus is.
* Luke 4:14-44. Jesus began his ministry.
* Matthew 5-6. Core of Jesus' teaching.
* John 3. God's love for the world.
* John 5. Jesus' miracles and authority.
* John 11. Jesus' power over death.
* John 15. Christian life defined.
* John 17. Jesus' high priestly prayer.
* Matthew 26-27. The arrest and crucifixion of Jesus.
* John 20. Resurrection of Jesus.
* Luke 24. Ascension of Jesus.
* Acts 2. Coming of the Holy Spirit.
* Acts 9. Conversion of Saul.
* Acts 16. Gospel spreads to Europe.
* Acts 26. Paul's defense of the Christian faith.
* Romans 3. Justification by faith alone.
* Romans 7-8. The battle with sin - Life in the Spirit.
* 1st Corinthians 13. Way of Love.
* 1st Corinthians 15. Power of Resurrection.
* Galatians 5. Freedom in Christ.
* Ephesians 4:1-16. Unity in Christ.
* Ephesians 6. Whole armor of God.
* Philippians 1:18-2:18. Christ's example.
* Colossians 3:1-17. Putting on New Self.
* Hebrews 4:14-5:10. Jesus the great high priest.
* James 1: Pure religion.
* 1st Peter 1:13-25. Called to be Holy.
* 1st John 4:7-21. God is love.
* Revelation 21-22: New Heaven and Earth.
Quick Story Outline of Bible
* Fall: First sin, First promise of a Redeemer.
* Abraham's call.
* Slavery in Egypt and Exodus: Moses, Ten Commandments, 40 years Wandering.
* Conquest, occupation and re-settlement of Canaan.
* Period of Judges: The Dark Ages of Israel when every person did “what was right in his own eyes.”
* Establishment of monarchy: Saul, David, Solomon and his building of Temple.
* Division of kingdom into Judah (south) and Israel (north).
* Fall of Northern Kingdom to the Assyrians.
* Fall of Southern Kingdom to the Babylonians: Burning of Temple.
* Babylonian exile and return under Ezra, Nehemiah.
* Coming of Promised Messiah: Jesus' birth, death and resurrection.
* Coming of Holy Spirit at Pentecost.
* Missionary journeys of Paul.
* John's description of End Times: The apocalyptic vision.
This Bible Outline from http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/new.htm
Number of Chapters
Genesis (50 Chapters).
Exodus (40 Chapters).
Leviticus (27 Chapters).
Numbers (36 Chapters
Deuteronomy (34 Chapters).
Joshua (24 Chapters).
Judges (21 Chapters)
Ruth (4 Chapters).
1 Samuel (31 Chapters).
2 Samuel (24 Chapters).
1 Kings (22 Chapters).
2 Kings (25 Chapters).
1 Chronicles (29 Chapters).
2 Chronicles (36 Chapters).
Ezra (10 Chapters).
Nehemiah (13 Chapters).
Esther (10 Chapters).
Job 42 Chapters).
Psalm (150 Chapters).
Proverbs (31 Chapters).
Ecclesiastes (12 Chapters).
Song of Solomon (8 Chapters).
Isaiah (66 Chapters).
Jeremiah (52 Chapters).
Lamentations (5 Chapters).
Ezekiel (48 Chapters).
Daniel (12 Chapters).
Hosea (14 Chapters).
Joel (3 Chapters).
Amos (9 Chapters).
Obadiah (1 Chapters).
Jonah (4 Chapters).
Micah (7 Chapters).
Nahum (3 Chapters).
Habakkuk (3 Chapters).
Zephaniah (3 Chapters).
Haggai (2 Chapters).
Zechariah (14 Chapters).
Malachi (4 Chapters).
Matthew (28 Chapters).
Mark (16 Chapters).
Luke (24 Chapters).
John 21 Chapters).
Acts (28 Chapters).
Romans (16 Chapters).
1 Corinthians (16 Chapters).
2 Corinthians (13 Chapters).
Galatians (6 Chapters).
Ephesians (6 Chapters).
Philippians (4 Chapters).
Colossians (4 Chapters).
1 Thessalonians (5 Chapters).
2 Thessalonians (3 Chapters).
1 Timothy (6 Chapters).
2 Timothy (4 Chapters).
Titus (1 Chapters).
Philemon (1 Chapter).
Hebrews (13 Chapters).
James 5 Chapters).
1 Peter 5 Chapters).
2 Peter (3 Chapters).
1 John (5 Chapters).
2 John (1 Chapter).
3 John (1 Chapter).
Jude (1 Chapter).
Revelation (22 Chapters).
Bible Story in 50 Words
Source: A poem revised from the original by Dana Livesay of Wanganui, New Zealand.
Facts about the Bible
* Books in the Bible: 66 Books. 39 in the Old Testament. 27 in the New Testament.
* Chapters in the Bible: 1,189. (929 in the Old Testament. 260 in the New Testament.)
* Verses in the Bible: 31,173. 23,214 in Old Testament. 7,959 in New Testament.
* Authors: God influenced about 40 authors. The Bible is consistent even to this day. Known human authors: (Paul, Timothy, others to be added).
* Time it took to write the Bible: at least 1600 years. Exact time unknown.
* Time between the completion of the Old Testament and the start of the New Testament: 350 to 400 years.
* Total Commandments: 613 Commandments, not just 10.
* Sections of the Old Testament: The Law aka books of Moses; books of History; books of Poetry aka Wisdom; books of Major Prophets; books of Minor Prophets.
* Sections of the New Testament: books of Gospels; books of History; books of Letters; books of Letters (again); books of Prophecy.
Facts on Christianity (Surprising to people who haven't studied the Bible). These raw facts are generally supported by all nondenominational Churches, as far as I know.
* Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven.
* Jesus Christ is the ONLY human who has never sinned.
* Jesus IS God.
* God only has to say something ONCE for it to be true.
* The Bible is the divinely inspired, completely PERFECT Word of God. That said, some translations have varied in word usage through the years.
* The true Church was built ONLY on the foundation of Jesus Christ.
* Jesus Christ organized the Church, the religion of Christianity.
* The Bible isn't “old fashioned”, it's timeless like the universe.
* The Bible says 318 times in the New Testament, Jesus Christ is coming back again.
* God loves everyone, including homosexuals, but hates homosexuality itself.
* Marry ONLY if you have not been married (or your spouse is deceased). (This sentence is still being researched).
* The original church was a HUGE gathering of people. The size of a Church building or congregation, big or small, isn't a big deal.
* There is no marriage in Heaven.
* Heaven will relocate to Earth, and it will be a new Earth.
* In Heaven, you will be made perfect, and given a brand new body of the spirit.
* God greatly dislikes divorce, so be very careful with it.
* There is a great cavern barrier between the living and the afterlife.
Footnotes / Sources
Page Sources: The Message paraphrase Bible; wikichristian.org; and sermons from NorthSide Christian Church of Clovis CA.
Internet Resources for Bible Notes, Cliff Notes, and Summaries