This article will be a list of tips and links about the musical instrument called an ocarina.
* I'm not a musician, I'm not a pro, these are just my student notes.
What's an Ocarina?
* Musical wind instrument, much like a flute. Very long history.
* It's similar to a flute. This image is one of the nicest I've seen. High pitch ocarinas are small, some small as a whistle. Low bass ocarinas are larger, some large as a football. But most ocarinas are potato size, or baseball size.
* Sweet Potato
Number of Holes
* More holes, are harder to play, but are worth learning if you have the patience. Obviously more holes means a higher diversity of notes, pitch, effects.
Wood vs Ceramic vs Metal vs Plastic
* Many children ocarina toys are junk and sound bad.
* Don't store a wooden ocarina next to a heater or quickly changing temperatures.
* Ceramic and metal weighs more than wood.
Ocarina Sheet Music
* Depends on number of holes.
* Official music notes aren't always required, if you prefer to learn by ear.
* Many wooden ocarina carvers say a humidifier is not necessary for long-term storage, but doesn't harm anything. There isn't much wood to expand and crack. During use, your breath is very moist.
* A small ocarina, such as golf ball size, will be very high pitch like a whistle. A big ocarina is lower pitch. A basketball size would be extremely low pitch.
What are the Zelda ocarinas all over eBay?
* Zelda is a video game, popular with teenagers. Many Zelda ocarinas are average to sub-par, but are okay for practicing.
Ebay Search Examples (The minus means ebay blocks it out)
12 wood ocarina -zelda
12 ocarina -zelda
* Flute. Recorder.
Royce Barber's Ocarina Experience
* I'm a beginner, using a cheap ceramic "Zelda" ocarina, bought from ebay for ten bucks. I practice 30 min per week, because it's therapeutic and feels organic.
* Forum: theocarinanetwork.com
* For more information: Wikipedia. Local library. Visit some music stores. Buy a beginner ocarina on ebay or amazon. Watch informational videos on YouTube. Search Google.