* Caution: This article is not professional advice. These are Royce Barber's notes on house renovation and forward-looking home technologies.
* This article is: Multipurpose house materials and design ideas. An ultra simple list of modern materials in a house in the USA. Practical articulate advice. This incomplete article will be updated gradually.
* This article is not: Technical. Long winded.
* This article focuses on: currently existing materials/technologies.
* A house should be: A home. Comfortable, affordable, expandable, upgradeable, recycled materials, integration into surrounding climate/grounds (region/climate specific), industrial, elegant, efficient, resellable, acoustics, aesthetics, safety, ergonomics, expandability, well planned out.
* A house should not be: Over your budget. Dangerous for children. A money hole.
* Similar Articles on RoyceBarber.Com: Multi Purpose Tools. CNC Machine. Resources/Subscriptions.
Royce's Dream House - Info to Sort
* Space: Cavern-like great room, reminiscent of the Coarsegold house I lived in. Large crawl space if possible.
* Low Cost Construction & Maintenance: Low construction complexity. Cube shape. Minimal windows. Extra insulation.
* Designer Look: Clean crisp designer styling. Bright, clean building, with medium color floor which won't show stains as much as white.
* Bedrooms: Inviting, cozy, sound dampening.
* Efficient: Underfloor heating. Cieling fans to pump warm air downward.
* Roof: Gazibo has water collecting tank, to self-water the garden. Garden uses synthetic grass and real hedges. Mix of real/synthetic plants.
* Security/Automation: All doors are steel with deadbolt. Mobile RC Camera Bot. Wifi.
* Electrical: Floor power plugs.
* Entertainment: Roof garden. Wifi. Wall TV. Hot tub.
* Materials: Metal roof. Steel frame. PegBoard garage walls. Possibly steel foundation rather than concrete. Minimal (if any) wood in frame.
* Industrial: Materials and appliances. Minimal carpeting. Minimal repair/maintence/care. Land has no pipes/sprinklers.
* Exterior: No lawn. Natural land topography with added giant rocks. Plenty of random trees. Walking paths.
* Dimensions: 14x14ft rooms. House is 4 rooms wide by 4 rooms long. 14ft x 4 rooms = House is 56 feet wide + wall thickness. So house is 64 by 64 feet. 8ft cielings with 2 stories is 8+8, + cieling thickness, so house is roughly 19ft tall. Square footage is lower floor and rooms + loft.
Basic House Parts
* Exits: Windows. Doors. Fireplace.
* Frame: Steel beams. 2x4 planks.
* Wiring: Power. Internet. Phone. Satellite TV. Antenna TV. Cell phone extender antenna.
* Major Appliances: Washing machine & dryer. Dish washer. Sink. Sink disposal. Trash compactor. Oven with stove range. Microwave. Computer workstation.Fridge &Spare fridge. Freezer (vertical or horizontal).
* Minor Appliances: Blender. Toaster oven. Toaster. Chopper. Waffle grill. George Forman grill. Beater.
* Water Heating: Instant On via Electricity. Instant On via Propane. Water heating tank.
* Climate Control: Fire Place. Wood Stove. Propane stove.
* Natural Gas lines.
* Propane Tank: Extremely popular.
* Solar Power: Popular. Optional battery cells.
* Wind Power: Rare.
* Air Ventilation Shafts/Fans/Vents.
* House Vacuum System
* Rooms (See Rooms Heading).
Popular Construction Tools
* Table Saw. Chop Saw. Circular Saw. Tile Saw. Granite Saw. Reciprocating Saw. Nail Gun. Hammer. Crow bar. Chizzles. Power drill. Drill bits. Nails/screws. Pneumatic (air) tools. Battery tools.
* Double pane. Good energy rating.
Heating / Cooling
* Sub-floor heating via heat vents or hot wires.
* Swamp cooler.
* Pellet stove.
* Portable electric upright oil heater.
* Heat Pump.
* Cool Roof System: Reflects visable, infrared, and ultraviolet sunlight. Reducing heat transfer of the building. Usually a light color. Reduces need for air conditioning.
* Water Heater: Tankless Propane (uses fire to heat water), Tankless Electric (zaps the water).
* Induction Stove/Range: 90% efficiency, saves electricity, cool to the touch, cooks fast.
* H-VAC unit and tubing.
* Major House Appliances: Stove, Fridge, Redundant Fridge or Freezer for garage, Microwave, Washer, Dryer, Vertical Washer/Dryer Combo, Hybrid Washer/Dryer in One, Water heater, Generator, Air Compressor/Tank.
Automation / Security
* Basic cameras and remote internet viewer, window/door sensors, motion sensors, motion lights.
* HighRes 3D/QTVR/YouTube Walk-Through of house.
* See "Guesstimated Near-Future Technologies" section of this article.
* Stamped Tin
* Metal Sheeting
Kinds of House Frame
* Stick Frame
* Trex(tm) Composite Boards
* Outside balcony made of translucent Plexiglas floor/railing.
Kinds of Rooms Inside a House
* Loft or Outside Balcony
* Sun Porch
* Master Bed
* Kids Bed
* Guest Bed
* Kitchen, Mini Kitchenette, and Pantry
* Walk-in Closets
* Basement and Basement Storage
* Living/Great Room
* Basement Apartment
* Garage or Shop
* Indoor Pool or Hot Tub Room
Wall Covering, Exterior
* Painted Boards
* Metal/Vinal Siding
Wall Covering, Interior
* Wood Planks
* Synthetic Wood Look
* Stone Tile
Foundation of a House
* Concrete pad.
* Steel frame, such as mobile houses or an RV.
* Raised concrete pillars, supporting your base boards.
* Raised steel pillars supporting your base boards.
Septic & Drainage
Power: Solar Panels
* Backup Power Cells for power outages. (This is rare).
* Recouping cost of solar panel array takes many years.
* Internet: DSL. Cable.
* TV: Satellite. Antenna. Cable.
Plumbing / Pipes
* Fridge Water Line
* Blown into attic with blowing machine.
* Roll of insulation.
Electricity vs Propane vs Natural Gas vs Gas Generator
* Optical Fiber natural lighting.
* LED Bulbs
* Rubber mulch (bark).
* Synthetic lawn.
* Sidewalk and land sloping away from house.
* Ground water getting into basement.
* Wheel chair ramps. Self opening doors. Stair grips.
* Seasonal climate differences.
* Tempature, humidity, elevation, vegetation.
* Organizational: Peg board. Shelving. Cubbies. Velcro. Magnets.
* Tool boxes:
* Tools: Shop vac. Air compressor. Gas generator.
Choosing Land Location
* Near a school, stores you like, activities.
* Crime, traffic, noise, air plane noise, seasonal changes.
* Commute time.
* Family needs.
* Influence of locals on your family.
* What aren't they telling you.
* Resale value.
* Local economy and job market.
House Building Requirements
* County Permits.
* Leveling the ground for the foundation.
* Driveway blading and paving.
* Land zoning. Residential, Commercial.
* Lowes and Home Depo have an excellent selection of construction/code/ideas books.
Home Upgrades & Renovation
* Will you get your money back?
* Are the improvements generic and helping resale value?
Quick Real Estate Lingo
* Multiple Listings
* Fannie Mae
Finances, Home Ownership Maintenance
* Monthly Bills: Water, Power, Propane or NaturalGas, Trash, Home Owners Association Fee, Television, Cable Internet, Food.
* New Roof.
* Driveway ReSurfacing.
* Well Pump.
* Pool ReSurfacing.
* Paint the House.
Ergonomics (Your Health)
* Sound-proof sleeping rooms: Dark, sound dampening walls around a bed and or hamock. Nature sounds. Cool breeze.
* Era: Victorian,
* Interior Designer:
* Kinds of dwellings: Apartment, Native American TP, Over-a-business living quarters, Mansion, Castle, Bomb Shelter, RV, Mobile Home Trailer, Manufactured (somewhat pre-built) Home,
Guesstimated Near-Future Technologies
* Textured Solar Cloth Panels glued to tin "Clay Tile" looking roofing.
* AI Experiment: Home automation of lights/computers/temp/security/etc controlled by voice-chat-bot running on Ubuntu Linux OS and or an Android Google Cell phone.
Worst Case Scenarios
* Crime: Poor home security.
* Family Relations: Divorce. Plans change. People change.
* Natural Disasters: Flood. Hurricane. Land slide. Termites. Mold. Wind causing trees to fall. Rotting trees. Untreated deck rot.
* Financial Disasters: Home market value changes. Home foreclosed. Lost a job. Hospital bills. No insurance, or insurance rates change.
* House problems: Structure not to code. Settling cracks.
* County demands.
* Financial: Foreclosure.
* Industrial TV Projector. Satellite/Cable/Cellular Internet.
* Computer software for home design: 3D home designed. Blueprint software. Budget software. Internet blog of photos/videos.
* Wikipedia list of construction articles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Construction
* Wikipedia list of "Types of Appliances": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_appliance#Types_of_appliances
* Wikipedia list of "Home Automation": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_automation
* Wikipedia list of "Domotics": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domotics
* Wikipedia list of "Domestic Technology": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_technology
* Wikipedia about "House": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House
* Wikipedia about "Roof": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roof
* Wikipedia about "Carpet": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpet
* Wikipedia about "Drywall": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drywall
* Wikipedia about "Water Heater": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_heater
* Wikipedia about "The Home Depot" hardware store: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_depo
* Wikipedia about "Lowes" hardware store: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowes
* Wikipedia about "Sears" store: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears
* Wikipedia about "Drill": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill
* Wikipedia about "Harbor Freight Tools" hardware store: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbor_Freight_Tools
* Wikipedia list of "Pneumatic Tools" (air tools): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_tool
* Google Directory:
* To be determined. My work experience is mostly self taught.
End of Page